Monday, March 10, 2008

N.Y. Gov. Spitzer in Hot Water Over Allegations

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who campaigned that he would be tough on crime when he was governor as he was when serving as attorney general, is in some hot water. Reports on Monday say that the governor will likely resign after being reportedly linked to a high-profile prostitution ring. Spitzer, who is married with three children, huddled with senior aides Monday after word of his reported involvement in the ring came out. Elected in November of 2006, Spitzer, who was said to have been caught on a wiretap, is reportedly one of the clients mentioned in recently released court papers involving the ring. Four arrests were made last week with ties to a high-profile prostitution ring, the Emperors Club VIP. In the meantime, if Spitzer does resign, his Lt. Governor is David A. Paterson. Stay tuned for more details.

Statement from Eliot Spitzer:

Over the past nine years, eight as Attorney General and one as Governor, I have tried to uphold a vision of progressive politics that will rebuild New York and create opportunity for all. We sought to bring real change to New York, and that will continue.

Today I want to briefly address a private matter. I have acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family, and violates my -- or any -- sense of right and wrong. I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public, whom I promised better. I do not believe that politics in the long run is about individuals. It is about ideas, the public good and doing what’s best for the state of New York.

I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family. I will report back to you in short order.

No comments: