Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ comp claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ comp insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
The following 10 companies received renewals of existing self-insurance certificates:
- ABF Freight System, Inc., Fort Smith, AR
- Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, Beaumont, TX
- Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., Fort Worth, TX
- Driver Pipeline Company, Inc., Irving, TX
- General Motors Corporation, Detroit, MI
- Johns Manville, Denver, CO
- Leonard Family Corporation, San Antonio, TX
- PPG Industries, Inc., Allison Park, PA
- Starbucks Corporation, Seattle, WA
- Trinity Mother Frances Health System, Tyler, TX.